Saturday, August 7, 2010

I Read Therefore I Am

It is Saturday night and I am watching my son play Paper Mario for the billionth time.  So, what better time than to do a silly survey.  MJenks did this a while back and I am nabbing it from him.

What have you just read?


I just read the Worst Case Scenario Handbook.  I now know how to do things such as hot wire a car, take a punch, survive a crocodile or shark attack and what to do if either my parachute doesn't open or if my air take runs out of air while I am scuba-diving.  You have no idea how more confident I am now leaving my house.

What are you reading now?


I am reading Letter to my Daughter by Maya Angelou.  I don't reread books but I think I will keep this one to reread in the future.  It is full of life lessons that I am sure will come in handy sometime.


Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?


Yeah, I have a whole pile of books on my nightstand.  I am going to go with Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.  It looks pretty lengthy, I'll tell you how it goes.

What's the worst thing you've ever been forced to read?


In general, in school, if I didn't like a book, I just didn't read it.  I found plenty of ways around it.  Though the summer before my freshman year in high school, I was not confident enough not to read the summer reading so I read Once in a Future King which was terrible.  I hated it.

What's the one book you recommend to just about everyone?


Either God-Shaped Hole or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Both great books that almost anyone would like.

Do you read books while you eat?


Yes.  All the time.

While you bathe?


I don't indulge in baths very often but when I do I take a book.  I used to love smoking in the bathtub, too.

While you watch movies or TV?


No, I can't concentrate on that many things at once.

While you are on the computer?


Like e-books?  Not generally.

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits?


I don't think so, but I may have been too busy reading to notice.

What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn't put it down?


The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell.  I just love that guy.


Have any books made you cry?

Pretty much all of them.  Most recently beside Angelou was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

2 comments:

Whatcha think?