Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Lessons

Don't give a three year old a 500 piece puzzle. I am seriously going to bring it back to grandma's house. The boy expected a nice puzzle that would have Buzz together in 30 seconds and when he wasn't he just cried.

Christmas is for the poor. It seems like families with money don't appreciate Christmas like poorer families do. I know a few richer families that don't even exchange gifts. In my family everyone gives everyone a gift. Even new boyfriends that not everyone knows. And they seem to be better gifts, a lot of homemade things, or something someone casually remarked that they might like to have. Remember that song where the woman sells her hair for a watch chain and the husband sells his watch for combs for her hair?

I am Ryder's mother no matter where we are. If I want to take him somewhere I will. It does not matter who is around. If I want to watch him open his presents, I will. My new years resolution is to stand up for myself. I am his mom. My mother is not.

Christmas is anti-climatic. I worked so hard for months to make everyone's gifts, for it to be over in a few minutes.

Next year I am doing Xmas at my house. If anyone wants to come over, they are welcome, but I am doing things my way. We are going to open gifts one at a time so we can watch each other. And no one will complain that I am "behind".

Any gifts that are not age appropriate, go into storage until they are.

My final Christmas lesson is that Xmas is not supposed to be sad. I need to surround myself with people who do not make me cry. And I have the ability to do that.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

6 comments:

  1. Good ideas, all.

    It is so hard to set boundaries, sometimes... I have the same problem reining in my out of control relatives. Even at my house. I have to remind them that they don't make the rules at my house. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think grandmas forget that thats what they are.. grandmas! I know its tough but you have great lessons up there! Christmas is time to enjoy yur family so do it the way you want where you are not sad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to do it at your house. Brittney is right, sometimes grandma's do forget that they are just grandma's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are good lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?