Thursday, June 7, 2012

Goals and Ambition

I have a problem at work. My problem is that I have no ambition. I have no goals. And, you know, I am actually quite content with everything. Not happy, but content.

My job is a stepping stone for grad school/med school/vet school. People work here for 1-2 years then go on their merry way to school. I have been here for 5-6 years already. I have no plans to leave.

Sure, I would love to find a new job, preferably in a far away city somewhere. But who knows? I don't know what kind of job I would be looking for anyways.

I was just listening to a Stuff You Should Know podcast on goals and whether they are good or bad. The consensus is that it depends on the person/situation. They touch on the fact that not everyone has goals. Some people are fine with their mediocre lives. (I assume they are mediocre because if they were really awesome, they probably achieved goals to get their awesome shit.)

I do kind of have a weight loss goal. I would like to lose 10 pounds as quickly as possible. I really don't know a better time frame than that. I don't really know what is reasonable. One month? Two? I guess I could google it, but honestly I don't care enough.

See what I mean?! No ambition. No motivation. This could all fall back, you know, on my depression. Why bother having goals that you cannot meet? What is the point?

8 comments:

  1. So tough, but also so practical at the same time! What you're doing seems to be working for you though!

    Warmest regards,
    Joy
    http://www.PardonMyPoppet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure its a bad thing to be content. That sounds really nice to me since I am always reaching for what seems (impossible) goals and it's probably a no-stress lifestyle. As long as you have something (even small) you are working for in your life like that weight loss goal, I'm sure you are fine. You should be happy, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it's nice to be content at where you are. It's not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being content with life and your job is a good thing. I do believe that it is important to set at least one goal for your self no matter how small. You said you wanted to lose 10 lbs which is a good place to start and it is not unrealistic. You can become overwhelmed when you set too many goals for yourself at once and especially if they are unrealistic ones. Depression can also make you feel like you don't want to do much of anything. You can start out just by walking a little in your neighborhood. I know being outside always makes me feel better. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goal setting can be a tough nut to crack. I usually sit down with God and pray before I set my goals. Sometimes I fall short. Sometimes I exceed. But at least I know what direction I'm headed in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm dreadful at coming up with goals, which is probably good, as I'd be too lazy to complete them if I had them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being content isn't bad. It could be a lot worse. Especially if you were stuck at a job you hated and didn't make much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's actually a good thing being content in the place that your in right now. I see it as being a peaceful place in a life that can be so full of chaos. I had to grow to a place of learning that quality because I found that when I set goals, I place the bar too high and then reaching the goal becomes very stressful. I too, like Shannon, have matured to the level of praying before setting goals. Gives me peace of mind as I move ahead and when I fall short, God gives me strength to get up and keep going.

    Belief and blessings,
    Anna
    upyourimage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?