Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Bridge to Terabithia

Our prompt:  What book captured your heart? Write about why the first book you loved is the first book you loved.
 
 The first book I loved was Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson.  I am not sure how old I was - nine? ten? twelve?  As I have mentioned before, this was the first book I'd ever read twice.

I fell in love with Leslie Burke on the first page she appears.  I wanted to be her best friend.  I wanted to go to her house and meet her parents.  She was so cool.

I grew up in Maine surrounded by woods.  At the far edge of the woods is a river.  Of course it seemed like the Mighty Mississippi when I was younger, but is actually barely on the town map.  We used to hang out at the river all the time.  We never went in, the water was too fast and there really wasn't anything on the other bank.  We always dreamt about a tire swing.

There really is no wonder why this book captured me like it did.  I wanted to be their friend and hang out in Terabithia with them.  Oh, what fun.

All of a sudden, I turn the page and Leslie is gone.  Dead.  Heart wrenching.  I felt Jesse's pain.  I felt like my best friend had just died too.  Somehow the grief does not kill anyone.  Somehow they all survive after she is gone.  Somehow the cow still needed to be milked.

This was probably the beginning of my love for the depressing.  I loved Where the Red Fern Grows, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Catcher in the Rye.  But Bridge to Terabithia was my first love.


Mama's Losin' It

10 comments:

  1. I might have to read this. I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter loved this book, too. I haven't read it. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow really good review. I've never read it.

    I like your new header thingy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Raine!

    I LOVED THIS BOOK TOO! I identified with Leslie in a very personal way.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book so much. Kaish is reading it right now. In a way, I don't want him to because I don't want him to feel that loss and sadness. I don't like the sad parts of life Raine. Not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good book :) I like sad stories too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the book and absolutely hated the movie. I cried buckets when she died. I've probably cried buckets throughout every sad book I ever read. I had to be excused from class in 4th, 6th, and 7th grade for the following: Stone Fox, Where the Red Fern Grows, and Lottery Rose. I always read ahead of the teacher and would burst into sobs while everyone else was on a funny part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how books can transport me to another place and always hate when I come to the end of a good one because it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never read it. I loved Where The Red Fern Grows though. Why is it that we women love the depressing movies and books??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this book.Magical and melancholy

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?