Thursday, July 11, 2013

Censoring

Lately I've felt like maybe I need to be censoring myself a little more.

Maybe I shouldn't be writing so much about mental illness.

I started thinking this way when I googled myself and saw how ridiculously easy it is to find this blog.

Like real easy.

So, I stopped blogging, though I've been decreasing in number of posts anyways, but for the first time I thought about taking some down.

Then I thought about it.

No.

I blog about mental health so that people are not afraid to talk about their mental health issues.

So that we can reduce or eliminate the stigma attached.

I am honest, and that is my thing.

I don't need to apologize to anyone, especially myself, about that.

I will not censor myself, even if it is really really easy to find this blog.



Mama’s Losin’ It

11 comments:

  1. I think it is great that you write about your mental illness. There are so many people in this world that are hurting and are afraid of telling people that they have a mental illness. I suffer from depression myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you are open about it and want to share your experiences so other people know that they aren't the only ones struggling. I have a lot of respect for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work in a Psychiatric Rehabilitation program and we were just talking about stigma in the media this morning. The only time we hear about it is when someone committed a crime. The unexperienced person will assume that mental illness = dangerous and in most cases, that's just not true. Thanks for being bold enough to share your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. its wonderful you are so open about a topic that can make others uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I am being laid off, I wondered about my blog. A guy who I have started to date googled me and was not scared off by my blog. If they won't hire me because of my blog, then I don't want to work for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's never easy to be transparent about one's feelings. It takes a lot of courage to do what you do: writing about mental illness. Stay strong, and keep inspiring others to forge ahead, despite whatever it is they're going through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're honest and brave. I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I imagine writing it has helped at least one person - you. And if it's that easy to find, think how many others you may have helped without even knowing? Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truth is always the path of least resistance. I think I could censor myself.
    Someone will always benefit from what you write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how open and honest you are! However if you think there are posts that could catch you more heat than it's worth I might consider taking them down or editing them. I have definitely removed a handful of posts from the last six years that now I feel could be used against me in some way (particularly posts about the daycare I run). Regardless, you're clearly respected and admired for your candidness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. DO NOT censor yourself. It's YOUR blog and you can write about whatever you want to.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?