Monday, July 19, 2010

Work Party Rant

Organizing anything with other people is always a nightmare.  Everyone needs to agree and everyone never agrees.  Everyone wants to do all this stuff yet no one wants to do it.

I am always nominated to choose the farewell gift at work.  Because I'm the only one who knows how to use Google?  Then, I pick something and everyone hates it.  For example, my friend was leaving and going to grad school.  I googled "grad school gift" and came up with this gift basket with things like flash drives and such that you need at grad school.  "You are NOT serious??" was the answer I got.

No one wants to be cheap but they don't want to spend too much money either.

I shop online and other people at work don't like paying shipping.  Well guess what - I do my shopping online.  I don't like stores, I don't like people, I don't like a tired and whiny toddler, and I don't live in the city.  So unless you want something with a witch on it, either pay shipping or go get it yourself.

Then collecting the money.  Then collecting the money!  I don't want to hold the money (because I always seem to get nominated for that too.)  Tell me how much to give whom.  Sally gets $20?  Done.  But no.  "Okay, so the gift comes to $78.32 after tax, split x ways, everyone owes $13.86."  Can't I just give $15?  Can't we just round up?  Please?

God it is such a nightmare.

5 comments:

  1. I would run and hide...sounds awful :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the exact same problems when I was working in an office.
    One day I just flat refused.
    "What?!?!" they all exclaimed, "Are you mad at us?"

    "Nope. I just don't want to do it. It's too much trouble and work."

    "It's not that hard"

    "Then do it yourself"

    And then I was the snobby bitch who wouldn't organize the office parties. At least that was better than being hated because I was the youngest and thinnest!

    And to think...I still unjammed the xerox machine for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would tell them all to stick it and do it themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, time to move on me thinks. Keep your head down and eyes averted when volunteers are being sought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ick...worse than our "Sign up for specific item" potlucks.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?