Friday, October 22, 2010

Coloring Outside the Lines

One of the biggest challenges I have faced as a parent is learning that there is not only one way to do things.  Train tracks do not have to form a figure eight, peanut butter can be eaten straight from the jar, you don't have to color in the lines.

We went to a Halloween party where he had some stickers to decorate pumpkins to make them look carved.  If I had done it I would've made them look how they are 'supposed' to look.  The way he did it, however, was way cooler.  One looked extra nervous, one looked extra dopey.

It's hard because I grew up where everything had a right way and a wrong way.  I was always taught there was one way to load the dishwasher.  The one way that maximized the number of dishes while maximizing the effectiveness of the wash.  When I was married, I used to scold the ex for putting the dishes in wrong.  Until one day he stopped doing it because he always did it "wrong".  I realized I was the wrong one.

I grew up with a couple of family members who suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  When you grow up like that you believe that is normal.

Its hard trying to keep a balance between teaching him how things work and allowing him to play however he chooses.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like you are doing it right...keeping your eyes open and being willing to bend;)

    bravo friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that I think you rock girl ♥ I'm totally OCD and have to really think about how I'm treating people in my house just because THAT HAS TO GO THERE, JUST LIKE THAT. I'm really working on it.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?