Thursday, September 22, 2011

Invisible Illness Week

Invisible Illness Week was last week, so I'm pretty late with this, but I think it is interesting enough to do any week. I found it on my pal, Mel's, blog. She has Rheumatoid Arthritis and hip bursitis. Go check out her blog and learn more about RA.


1. The illness I live with is: Severe depression, panic disorder, and agoraphobia

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year:  2004, officially

3. But I had symptoms since: as long as I can remember. My earliest panic attack was somewhere between 4 and 6 years old.

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Being aware that my intrusive thoughts are caused by depression and I can do something about them.

5. Most people assume: That I'm just a bit sad and should just get over it

6. The hardest part about mornings are: Caring enough to get up

7. My favorite medical TV show is:  I don't really watch TV


8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: My phone - I love it

9. The hardest part about nights are: Getting to sleep and then staying asleep

10. Each day I take minimum 5 pills some days up to 8

11. Regarding alternative treatments: I've tried loads of things to get me to sleep and to stay asleep, but that is it

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose:  invisible, if I really had to choose

13. Regarding working and career: It is difficult to work or just get to work, when you don't care about anything. Or on the flip side, I get panicky really quickly, so any stress could cause a panic attack

14. People would be surprised to know: How quickly I can go from normal to depressed as shit

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been:  It is not really new

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: Connect with others with similar situations

17. The commercials about my illness:  Usually depict depression as a black cloud. I wish it were just a black cloud. It trivializes it

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is:  again, I've really always had it

19. It was really hard to have to give up: See above

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is:  Blogging


21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Be at peace with the world

22. My illness has taught me: Not to judge others, who knows what they are thinking

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is:  "I'm so depressed that I'll never see a new Harry Potter movie again." That is not depressed. That is sad.

24. But I love it when people: Ask how I am

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: "God grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change, the courage to change what I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: It will be okay.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: How many other people have the same problems

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: Watch Ryder for me

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I'm pretty much not. But I want to help spread awareness about depression and anxiety and let people know they are not alone


30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Special. It is a long list and there are no chocolate or vanilla questions

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Raine. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you did this!

    October 10th is World Mental Health day. I think you should think about doing a post about this then too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, I know it helps me, to write about it. Just to get those thoughts out of my crazy head. It helps.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?