Friday, February 24, 2012

It Happened

So, it happened. Ryder asked (sorta) about his dad. I knew the day would come, but I thought I would have longer to prepare.

We were in the middle of a crowded Christmas Tree Shop when he said "I don't have a dad."

"Well," I tried to explain, "you do have a dad you just don't know him."

"Is [your boyfriend] my dad?"

"No, he is not."

"Is he your dad?"

"No, honey, he is not a dad. He has no children."

"I want to go to Chuck E Cheese," wrapping the conversation up.

So, I know that this is only the first of many conversations like this. Hopefully they don't happen in the middle of a crowded store again. I could feel the eyes burning my flesh.

2 comments:

  1. I imagine that is very stressful. I am sure it will happen again, but the good thing is he has a mom who loves him and provides for him. As he gets older he will better understand and take comfort in the family/support that he has......and while he is young there is always Chuck E Cheese. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are tough conversations to have! At least now you know it may come up again, so you can think about what you'll say next time.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?