Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Talk to Me

Mama Kat's prompt: What is your cross to bear?

I am a listener. A really good listener. I don't always give advice, actually I think I usually don't. Sometimes people just need someone to listen and I am that person for others.

I have always been a confidante. When I was young, I was my mother's confidante. I hated it. She told me about all of these problems she was having with my younger brother. I began to think that maybe if I gave them problems they would talk about me instead. But I didn't, really. I quietly listened.

A good friend recently told me that I am her "person." The person that she can always rely on and can say anything and everything too. That meant a lot. We had had some problems in the past but now our friendship is solid. I love that I can be there for someone who needs it.

On the other hand, I am a terrible talker. I don't really have a "person." I don't have someone to run to and tell all my crap to. And even if I did, I am not sure that I would. I feel like if I tell someone something then I am giving them the load. Like now they are going to worry about me or whatever and I certainly do not want to do that to anyone. I don't want people to worry about me, so I remain quiet.

Maybe that is why I blog. What I don't want to verbalize I type. But that isn't necessarily true either. God knows I would be blogging a whole lot more and it would be a whole lot less interesting if I did.

Anyways, I am a good listener. I am always interested (or feigning interest.) I like it but sometimes I loathe it. It is my cross to bear.

10 comments:

  1. Im a listiner too...do you find that when you finally do need to talk the ones you listen to are no were to be found? thats what always happens to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a listener, too.

    I'm a talker, as well.

    But, I'm one of those people that others will come to and divulge stuff that I really don't care about, but I'll listen anyway. And then I'll be good and not blab to everyone else.

    I don't know if that's really a cross or not. Sometimes it feels like it. Sometimes I like knowing what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to you. I'm a listener, not really a talker.

    p.s. I left you an award on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world needs listeners, if we did not have them those of us who talk to much and don't know when to stop would be doomed!!!!

    By the way I LOVE your "effing Christmas card" and voted for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to think that I was a good listener, too. Unfortunately, I think I've faulted with that over the last couple of years. But, I remember what it was like to be that "person" for so many as you are.

    Blog your little heart out. You have the best support system right here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are your listeners! It is a lot of weight to bear to be that person for people. Sometimes I don't want to listen...sometimes I want people to just stop talking about themselves. :) Maybe that's why I'm not the best listener...maybe that's why they're going to you instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'll always be here to listen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. That is so interesting. You do seem like a good listener : ) I can just tell! Hope you and your little pumpkin are having a wonderful Holiday season!

    I love your name. Whenever I see it on the list I get excited : ) SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. youre greatest gift is always your greatest struggle...

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?