Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tipping: Dos and Don'ts

I waited tables for quite some time in my younger years. (Doesn't that make me sound old?) I have also delivered pizzas. Those are my qualifications for being a tipping expert.



  • Do tip your waitress 15% - 20% - Waitstaff make less than minimum wage. They depend on tips for their living.
  • Don't base your tip on the food, just the service - Your server did not make the food, it is not their fault if it is bad. But it is their business to get you a new dish or whatever.
  • Do tip your delivery man - They probably make minimum wage, and I don't know what it is like where you live, but you cannot survive on minimum wage around here. A flat $2 tip is fine.
  • Don't worry if you can only leave change - I actually liked change. I told everyone it was my honeymoon money.
  • Do tip the hairdresser and taxi driver - Unless you want to look like Stevie Nicks next time you go to get a hair cut.
  • Don't tip everyone - I mean, if you really want to by all means, but you do not have to. The guy pumping your gas does not expect a tip. And, please, those postal workers get better benefits than I do.
  • Do tip more for exceptional service - Again, you don't have to, but a good tip is incentive for waitstaff to provide out-of-their-way service
  • Don't tip based on the chart on your receipt - Lately I have been seeing on receipts that they tell you how much to tip based on 15, 20, and 25 percent. Sometimes they are wrong! Some are trying to trick you into tipping too much. Buy one of those pocket tipping charts.
What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I tip the woman who does my eyebrows $2, I figure it will keep me from making her angry and giving me an awful waxing, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I overtip some people, like maybe the pizza guy. Since I'm bad at knowing how much to tip (other than at restaurants, where I do 20-30% depending on service), I typically give 20% to anyone I am tipping. My mom was a waitress when she was a single mother way back when, so I know how people need tips to live. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always a good tipper, except for that one waitress while we were on vacation who wouldn't give the Littlest Kid fries instead of chips even though it was an option on the menu. Lazy makes me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe in leaving tips especially at restaurants. One thing I get confused about is, do the cooks and wait staff split the tip? We try to leave 20%, my husband waited tables briefly so I have heard about the pay (well, lack of).
    Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?