Sunday, July 19, 2009

Reason 376 Why It Sucks To Be A Single Mom

There is no one to shield Ryder from my breakdowns.

Now, I am not saying for one second that it would be better to still be with my ex. Obviously an occasional breakdown on my part is far preferable to being neglected by his father.

With that said, I feel bad for Ryder when I have these attacks. I get anxiety attacks. Yesterday we threw an anniversary party for my parents (more on that later) and I was so stressed. Before the party even began, I was done. D. O. N. E. I could not handle it any more. Ryder took his open water bottle and was going to drop it in the cooler. I told him not to. He did anyways, of course, and I tweaked out. I grabbed the water bottle and threw it and yelled. He was crying because I yelled and because now he didn't have any water. I felt like shit.

Today, we are both exhausted from all of this weekend's excitement. I went out and got some Thai food and put on a movie. We never eat in the living room. Not because it is clean, I just really believe in eating meals at the table. But, I thought we'd just relax in front of the TV today. Well, guess what happened. He spilled sticky sauce all over the place. Then, when I went to get a towel, he took his saucy fingers and turned off my laptop - while some things were downloading. Then he spilt the OJ. Omigod. I started screaming. Actually my throat hurt a bit from it. I put him in his room so that I could calm down. I felt like shit.

Ugg.

I know that there are way worse things that could happen then me yelling and throwing a water bottle or two. I know that if I was still with the ex, then there would be 5000% more yelling and throwing. I know that having someone else here doesn't necessarily mean that he would be sheltered from anything. I know that I am still a good mom. I know all of this, but I still feel shitty about it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a parent, yet I totally sympathize with you, Raine. My mother became a single mom during my pre-teen years and there were times when she would get so frustrated with me and my brother. The path of single motherhood is a challenge, and at the same time, I imagine it can be quite rewarding. You're a good mommy. Don't sweat it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing wrong with yelling at a child for having done what he shouldn't do. It might not be the ideal way to educate him, but it's one of the ways. So, don't feel so bad about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done exactly the same thing...you know they're little and they aren't intentionally trying to make you insane, but you scream at the top of your lungs anyway. Yeeesh. I had this horrible flashback when I read that post...sigh...I stick myself in a time out, and after I calm down, I grab my Peanut, hold her tight and apologize. She always forgives me, but I usually still feel like crap. Kids are resilient, they know you love them and they get over it. I hope. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it just can't be helped, Raine. Nobody's perfect. The fact that it bothers you will help you figure out another way.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?