Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Through The Looking Glass

I am laying in a hotel room watching my red sox lose. This is not where I was supposed to be tonight. I was supposed to be camping. But then I wouldn't be able to tell you about this place right now.

I feel like I am in a different world. One in which I was familiar with once in my life, but have become detached from. I am in North Conway, NH. I am in an area of the country where they don't bother paving driveways or parking lots or roads. A place where you can park right downtown for free - not a single meter to be seen. And it is 2 hour parking! For free! And speaking of parking - don't stress about parallel parking. There is no need for that around here.

Cell phone service is pretty spotty. Forget about the Internet (Ive finally got it working after trying for hours). But, its almost a blessing. I don't have to check my voicemail. And when I do, I get all my messages at once. Call back? Sorry, no service!

It is so pretty out here. Ill post pics later. I love mountains. It is so peaceful. I didn't hear a single car alarm at all last night.

As we were driving around, I kept seeing things that reminded me of my childhood. That "Welcome to Conway" sign? I remember pulling over in front of it so that my dad could go into the cooler in the trunk to get us all drinks. That store Joe Jones with the jingle that we used to sing along to. Headlines where my friend bought her first bowl. That chocolate store that I knew had German candy because it was a "Haus."

Its actually been a pretty stressful trip so far. There is some family stuff going on and I was supposed to be camping, but I am not. The people I was supposed to meet couldn't come, so I figured it wouldn't be safe on my own. I was really quite upset. I am lonely at home. Now I am lonely in the middle of the wilderness.

But right now, laying in this hotel room, with my babe, it is perfect.

2 comments:

Whatcha think?