Thursday, November 19, 2009

How To Get Food From A Food Bank

  1. Swallow your pride. You've gotta do what you've gotta do.
  2. Get listing of local pantries (at library, etc).
  3. Circle the pantries that you qualify for. (Resident only, family, single, etc)
  4. WRITE THEM ON YOUR CALENDER! Most are only open a couple hours a week/month.
  5. Gather appropriate documentation for each pantry. (They are not the same.)
  6. Leave early and dress for the weather.
  7. Stand in line with a billion other people. (Hopefully not outside if it is raining.)
  8. Try to keep your child semi-close to you while still holding your place in line.
  9. Take a number.
  10. Try to entertain your child.
  11. Wait.
  12. Try to convince your child to be patient.
  13. Wait.
  14. Silently plead to the food pantry gods that your turn is soon.
  15. Wait.
  16. When your number is called, go up to desk, provide required documents.
  17. Receive buggy/cart.
  18. Go to each station taking the correct number of items.
  19. Try to keep your child semi-close to you while still holding your place in line.
  20. At the end, hope that they have bags or boxes or something to hold your food.
  21. Juggle food and child, barely making it to the car without damaging either.
  22. At home, go through the food and throw out the rotten stuff.
  23. Be thankful for all the food you have received.

7 comments:

  1. It's true - you've got to do what you've got to do. Food banks exist to help people who need them. I'm sure it's hard to accept the assistance, but they are happy to help. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is an eye opening post. Reminds me to be grateful for EVERYTHING. Even for the little things that you think don't matter. Thanks for sharing, Raine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if everyone truly realizes how important Food Banks really are. Everyone needs to eat but unfortunately not everyone has the money to properly do this.

    I nominated you for an award as well. :) Give me like 10 minutes to finish the post first though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even know what to say but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my daughter spent last Saturday morning stocking the shelves at the local gleaner's. It was a good experience for her.
    But
    There's rotten food? Did I read that right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Humbling. Makes me realise what a smug git I am.

    Hang in there girl - you're doing amazing things for you and the little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, we used to do that. I was that little kid and my mom was trying to keep me semi-close. Sometimes the stuff was free and sometimes it was at a greatly reduced price. Either way I thought it was the coolest thing ever. :) You know, it was the first time we got box macaroni. I thought it was awesome, cuz my mom usually made ours from scratch (which is, btw, way better than the boxed stuff... But you know, it was a novelty.) I didn't know we were poor and I didn't even think to feel a stigma. And you shouldn't either. Sometimes life goes like this-

    Q. Why did the mommy go to the food bank?
    A. To get to the other side.

    And you will. :D Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?