Monday, November 2, 2009

Sometimes I Wish I Believed in God

Sometimes I wish I believed in God. Sometimes it would be nice to say a little prayer and everything be okay. A few words and there would be this invisible force field around my loved ones and no harm would come to them. There would be rainbows and butterflies.

Sometimes I wish I believed in God. Sometimes it would be nice to have answers. Any situation and I would have a cute little saying. Let go and let God. Bless me, Father, for I have sinned.

But the truth is that I do not believe in God. A few words spoken to an ethereal deity will not make me feel better. Will not produce sunshine and rainbows. Will not keep my loved ones safe.

I am glad I do not believe in God. I take responsibility for my own actions. I do not fear judgement. I do not pass judgement because some holy text tells me to. I do not wonder what happens when I die. I am not limited by what some religion believes are my limits.

I believe that this, too, shall pass.

5 comments:

  1. This is an interesting post Raine. I'm not sure if you are saying your beliefs, or lack thereof, will "pass" or if you are saying that THAT is your belief, that all things pass with time.
    I think that this might be the most introspective post I've read of yours in some time.
    Good work my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this is more ways than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For whatever reason, I cannot reply via email. *shrug*

    @JenJen - Thanks. "This, too, shall pass" is my belief system. I like it.

    @Jen - Its nice to know there are others on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the most significant post I have ever read. Thank you. I love your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I didn't even see this post, I must have been so distracted by the monkey costume that I missed this.

    That being said, nice post. I really like how you're very honest in what you think and believe. The Bible is a fickle book. People tend to pick and choose what they believe. My motto is "Help Others", it is the only thing that makes sense to me and I wish others would follow.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?