Monday, June 21, 2010

Boycott BP

I know I've mentioned before how I believe that one of our greatest weapons is consumer power.  I do not spend my money at businesses that dump their money into organizations that I disagree with.  I do not shop at Walmart or Dominoes.  I do not buy Coors beer.  I do not agree with their principles so I do not give them my money.  The same goes for BP.

I understand other people's argument that to boycott BP would be hurting the gas station owners, who are our neighbors.  Our neighbors with kids to feed.  I think the same principle applies.  When I decide not to shop at Dominos it is really hurting my local Dominos, but should I turn a blind eye to where my money is going?  Should I continue going to BP knowing that a part (albeit a small part) is going to fund the yacht race?  Do I want to support the company that has destroyed so much wild life and so many ways of life?  BP is hurting our neighbors in the South.  Are they not the real victims?

My bf works for Walmart.  She has a family and she makes decent money at Walmart.  Should I shop at Walmart because I do not want her to lose her job?  I don't think so.

To boycott your local business is the only power we have.  What else can we do?  Write to Congress?  Done.  Donate to clean up projects/  Done.  Pick another station to pump my gas at.

Gasoline boycotts do not, historically, work (although this is the proposed solution in the linked article).  Eventually you need to get gas.  You do, though, have the ability to choose whose gas you buy.  Maybe our local gas station owner will consider switching to another brand, although, I admit my ignorance to whether that is a possibility.  After additional research on the topic, it may not be as easy as I originally thought.  Apparently not all BP stations sell BP gas and some other stations sell BP gas.  I have a real problem with this.  So, I am not buying what I think I'm buying?  This requires more research.  And don't you worry, I will share my findings.

Are you boycotting BP?

3 comments:

  1. BP, Wal-Mart, Shaw's, Home Depot, Lowe's...I could go on and on but I'm with you. I boycott them all.

    I'm on the fence about Target but I love how they donate to local schools, the same with Big Y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a corporation, I hate Wal-Mart, but as someone who lives some place with very few alternatives, and not much money, I shop there (is that bad?). I'm not too impressed with BP, but then again, no one really is right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BP is actually TONS of places that most people don't realize. I have a friend in Oklahoma that is refusing to use anything made using BP products which means no electricity, no plastics, no car (he's riding his horse no lie), no lots of stuff. I don't know if I could do it but I applaud his effort.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?