Tuesday, June 1, 2010

In Which Raine Gets in Her Car and Drives Away

I was pumping gas at my local Hess station when a big-ass black truck pulled up behind me.  I could hear the yelling immediately.  I looked behind real quickly and saw a man in the passenger's seat and a woman in the driver's, both about my age or a touch older.  The man was yelling something about how she had fucked up and she needs to learn to drive.  I couldn't make out the rest, but I know it was nasty.

I didn't know what to do.  I didn't want to say anything in front of him and make him angrier and perhaps make things worse for her and I didn't want to call the police or anything because he was just yelling and I didn't know what was going on, really.

I stood in front of my pump awkwardly when I saw him go into the store.  I got into my car and watched the store.  It didn't look like he was coming back out immediately so I got back out and walked towards the truck.  I asked the woman if she was okay and she said she was.  I asked if she was sure and she said she was.  Then I got back into my car again, and drove away.

I feel weird about the whole thing.  On one hand, I really wish that I could have done something more for her, but on the other hand, I know that there was nothing else I could do in that situation.  I thought what if I had handed her my phone number?  But what if he had found it and it made things worse for her?  Would she even call me anyways?

If I were her, and I wasn't okay, would I tell me?  I don't think so.  But maybe just me asking will make her feel better.  I hope so.

6 comments:

  1. I would have freaked if you came up to me; I'd be afraid he'd see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There isn't much more you could have done. You asked if she was OK, and that is more than most people would do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was in her place I would have felt better just knowing that you came to me to ask me if I was OK (hence, implying her partner was an idiot!)and not gone to him and sympathized with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did what you could. You're way nicer than I would've been, I would have taken down the license plate number and called the police.

    Any man who yells like that at a woman is only one step away from smacking her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did the right thing. There was nothing else that could be done, really.
    I know that if I had been the lady, I would feel better knowing that someone out there cared enough to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes just having someone be nice to you makes all the difference. I'm sure it helped that you asked her if she was ok. That was a nice thing to do. I can't think of anything else that you could have done.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?