Sunday, November 7, 2010

Future Smuture

I think I have mentioned before how when I was in first grade I would look up at the third graders and think how I would never be that big. How I just assumed that I would die before then just because it didn't seem possible. I didn't know until recently that that was depression. I just thought it was how it was.

I think this is the same reason I have made a lot of decisions in my life. Why I was so willy-nilly about college - because I couldn't picture myself going then graduating so I just thought I'd die or something before then. I only applied to one school and didn't really care if I got in or not. I picked a major without really thinking about it. I graduated with a decent gpa but not because I worked hard. I never really thought about getting a job after graduation. I think because I never believed I'd live that long.

I think that is why I'm so unmotivated all the time. I don't want to go to school, I don't really care enough to look for a new job, I'm gonna live in this shitty apartment forever.

I can't even get excited for Greece next summer because it is just too far away. I couldn't even talk about February because who knows what will happen before then.

My therapist urges me to remember to take my antidepressants. I dunno. I think who cares if I plan or not, but then that is probably what got me into the messes I've been in. Marriage? Sure, why not? Tomorrow? Sure, fuck it.

And if I plan things, there is the danger of looking forward to it and therefore the danger of being disappointed. And who wants to be disappointed, right?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.4

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Raine. I totally get what you are saying and I, too, have been a victim to depression. Take your pills or whatever you do to solve the issue. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand this feeling all to well. I have been in this state for the past three yrs, not wanting to plan ahead, fear of dying....no motivation. It is horrible. I'm truly sorry you feel this way my friend....stay strong

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?