Thursday, November 4, 2010

Being Gonzo

While I was growing up, I was always considered "weird." I heard it all the time. I don't know why, though. Maybe it was because I watched MST 3K and the Twilight Zone. Or maybe because I read King and Koontz. Maybe because I didn't like New Kids On The Block or 90210. Or maybe because I wanted much more than this provincial life. Or maybe it was my big blue nose?




I always identified with Gonzo. Everyone called him weird and he felt like he didn't belong. He did things differently. He didn't know where he was from or who he was or what he was. He always felt like an outsider and I did too.




As I grew old though, I felt a kinship to Camilla the Chicken. Camilla was fairly normal, being a chicken and all, yet Gonzo loved her. They didn't care that they were so much different from each other. Camilla was generally quiet, just a squawck here or there, but when she had something important to say she spoke up. No one understood her like Gonzo and no one understood Gonzo like Camilla.


The Wishing Song
sung by Gonzo

I wish I had a coat of silk, the color of the sky.
I wish I had a lady fair, and then a butterfly
I wish I had a house of stone that looked down on the sea
But most of all I wish that I was someone else but me.


(Madeleine cheers up Gonzo)

Now I don't have a coat of silk, but I still have the sky
Now I don't have a lady, but there goes a butterfly
Now I don't have a house of stone, but I can see the sea
Now most of all I know that I am happy to be me.
I'm happy to be me.

4 comments:

  1. Gonzo was great, I was always called Animal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gonzo....great post;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! Gonzo was a cutie. I had forgotten all about him and his love of the chicken. This is a good memory to have recaptured!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like Fozzi bear. :)

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?