Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tunnel Vision

Mama Kat's question this week is: If you could only focus on three things in life and pursue them fully, leaving everything else, what would they be and why?

I hate love theoretical questions. They make me think too much. My ex and I used to get into serious arguments over them. One notable example was what would happen if aliens landed. This turned into yelling.

Anyways... This question made me realize that the things I am most passionate about are not the same things that are most important to me. Politics for example. I am passionate about politics because it affects us directly and it is being orchestrated by people we've never met. Politics, however, did not make my list. I wonder if this is a mix up of priorities or just practicality.

Family is my first pick. I would nurture relationships and learn more about the people in my family. I would spend more time with Ryder. I would teach him everything I know. I would have my family over for dinners that we would all sit around the table for. I would get to know family members that I don't know well. I would hang out with cousins and aunts. I would tell everyone how much I love them.

Nature is my second. I would lay in the grass and watch the clouds and count the stars. I would go to the Grand Canyon and the rain forests. I would hike mountains and swim in lakes. I would seek out the ivory-billed woodpecker and the elusive pandas. I would go to Antarctica and the Galapagos. I would grow vegetables and raise goats.

Conscientious consumerism is my final choice. I would support local businesses. I would learn which companies used recycled materials and made an effort to reduce packaging. I would learn where my food comes from and who grows it. I would find out which companies lobby for gay marriage and which ones lobby for gun control. I would support companies that give back to the community and not those who give their executives private jets. Most importantly I would share my findings with all who would listen.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. What a good list Raine. Very thought provoking. I am glad Ryder has a Mommy like you : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd support companies who pay living wages; ones that don't send all the good jobs to India and China.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel really silly right now because all I can come up with a this very moment is:

    I'd get up on time.
    Seek out the perfect latte and make sure the Kid got to school on time.

    Great list :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll echo the others - great, great list. It makes me happy! I think it shows that you are a very thoughtful person

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember laying in the grass like that too! I remember the smell of the air and the sound of the breeze in the trees and of thinking about nothing in particular. Just laying.

    Ahhh...thanks for the memory. :)

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?