Sunday, February 7, 2010

What Now?

I do not know how to relax. It does not come naturally to me. I never got an instruction manual. Maybe it is in the mail with the parenting manual.

Ryder went to play next door. My neighbor said "You can have some time for yourself." Immediately I was thinking of ways to maximize this alone time. I had to figure out what I needed to do that was easier to do without Ryder around. Should I do the dishes? No, I can do that when he goes to bed. Should I play games? No, that would not be a very efficient way to spend the time.

Finally I decided to blog about how I didn't know how to relax or know what to do when he was gone. I sat down with my laptop and he came in the door.

That was a big ol' FAIL.

My problem is is that I feel like if I am not doing something constructive, I am wasting precious time. Time that I could be using to accomplish something.

If you have time to lean, you have time to clean. That is what we were told in the restaurant biz.

Anyways, he is in bed, finally, and my mind is racing with things I could be doing. At least I already finished the dishes.

What I should do is make some tea, get a book, take a sedative and relax. What I will probably do is pick up all those damn trains on the floor.

7 comments:

  1. pick up the trains, then do the tea and a book, then you can relax knowing you picked everything up...If Im trying to relax and something is oput of place(usually my shoes) I can not relax untill I have put them right;)

    peace and happy relaxing my friend;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I hear you. I can't relax if I can see something that isn't supposed to be there. Trains, a crooked picture frame, a barrette...enough to drive a person nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoutout to you on my blog too!

    http://searching-for-sunrise.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-cant-relax-must-do-something-disease.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Psshh... A hard lesson I learned while Josh was in Iraq.. There is always tomorrow... If you try to do everything today, you have no energy (mentally and physically) for tomorrow's fight...(and well you already know raising a child is a daily fight) SO...Yes, find out what makes you happy, and relaxed... It's not easy, but worry less about the trains and dishes ;p They will still be there in the AM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steven Anthony took the words right out of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol. "if you have time to lean, then you have time to clean," i've never heard that and it's so true.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?