Sunday, February 28, 2010

It Was Only a Second

Okay, maybe it was a couple of seconds.  Okay, maybe it was like five.  Anyways, it wasn't long and when I turned around he wasn't there.

We went to the Children's Museum today.  We were in the very exciting Curious George exhibit.  (Did you know that the writer had to bike out of Paris with the manuscript in his pocket to flee from the Nazis?)  There was approximately One Trillion people there today.  I went into my bag and when I looked up he was not standing where he was five seconds ago.

He was standing right over there - so I went over there and he wasn't there.  Okay.  He was playing on the slide so he's probably over there.  Okay, not at the slide.  It's okay.  He is here.  It is an enclosed exhibit and the odds of him walking out of it is very slim.  Breathe.  Maybe he wandered over there?  Nope.  Breathe.  Breathe.  There are a million kids, just slowly look through them.  Oh god.  This is not happening.  This is not happening.

That's when I saw him come down the slide.  The stairs up to the slide are inside a rocket, so he could have been out of sight when I looked over there.  I thought I was going to die.

A minute later I heard a mother say "We've gotta look for him.  He is here somewhere."  Then I felt better.

11 comments:

  1. that must really be scary. I can't even imagine. But what can you do? Can't keep them home for ever.
    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I remember that feeling...used to happen all the time with my two boys. Way to keep a cool head! Hold him close!! And kiss him extra tonight before bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG....how scary, sorry you had to experience that.

    but other than that sounds like you had a great day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. omigosh, i felt nervous just reading this. i can image the relief you felt!

    btw - i left you 2 blog awards on my blog. i think you already have one of them, but you can never get too much blog love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That had to be scary! Glad it was all good though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is scary. I had that happen once and i felt like my whole world had come crashing down around me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You poor bugger!

    I remember that feeling, way back when... These days mine GOES out without me. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate that feeling!! Each kid has given my a heart attack like that! Now I'm just thankful they arrive home sober and not pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been there. Scary is an understatement!! Glad you found him safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is probably the one benefit we had with Skyler being in a chair. Wherever we parked him, there he stayed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nerve-racking stuff! My boy (now 9 ran off when he was two. Same thing as what happened to you. He just got out of my line of sight. Only thing was he kept running until he got to the toy store down the other end of the shopping centre. When the security staff eventually brought him back to me, they said he had been playing with the Thomas the Tank Engine set while the staff fed him lollipops! Like that was going to stop him from doing it again!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?