Sunday, March 14, 2010

Remembering Jana

I had never met Jana.  To be honest (because that is my forte), I probably would never had known her name, had it not been for Facebook (thank you Harvard overachievers.)  I have an extremely close immediate family, but due to fucked up family dynamics, we are not as close to extended family.

My cousin met the love of his life online.  This, of course, was source of many rumors within my family.  Rumors that I was too young/naive/self-absorbed to question.  Rumors, that I did not learn until hooking up with them on Facebook, that were slightly hugely embellished.  My extended family can be jerks.


The few things I learned about my cousin and his wife I learned about via the internet.  Chatting back and forth and such.  They lived in Florida and were madly in love.  If there is one thing that I will remember about Jana is that she loved Nick deeply.  You would've thought they were newly weds cause all the cutesy things they would post.  They both love games.  They both are the type that post every single achievement.  It was annoying, but now I will miss it.

I am deeply saddened by this loss.  She was a good woman.  She was a young woman.  Her time with Nick was too short, yet I hope that he remembers every good moment and is able to hang on to them.

This has reminded me that life is short.  Sometimes, you don't even realize how precious time can be.  Although I do not choose to be depressed, there is no time for that.  It is important to tell those that you love that you love them daily.  I do not mean to be cliche, but there it is.  It has also reminded me to keep in touch with those you love.  It makes me incredibly sad that I never had the pleasure of meeting Jana.  I am sad that I was never invited to Cousin in Italy's party and did not meet his wife and children.  I am incredibly sad about how much my Grandmother is a bitch.  (Not for just the party, for other reasons that I will not go into here.) 

I hope that no matter what happens, my cousin knows that I am here for him.  I am a good listener.  Maybe someday soon I will be able to visit him, because life is short.  There is no time for idleness.

3 comments:

  1. That are good traits to have, honesty and a good listener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is short. You have to do things that you enjoy and spend time with people you love and who mean a lot to you. Good post, one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met my husband online too. He's the best thing I ever got off the internet ♥ Again, I'm sorry for your loss. I know how it hurts. I lost a very dear online friend not that long ago. We were best friends even though we never met. You can read that here if you want.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?