Friday, March 12, 2010

Sometimes I Wish I Believed in God

Sometimes I wish I believed in God.  I have mentioned this before.  Sometimes I wish I believed that when a person died, they went to heaven.  I wish I believed that their loved ones who passed before them would meet them at St. Peter's Gate.  It would be comforting to think that they are some place happy.  Not just gone.

I also wished I believed that I would see them again.  That they would be waiting at the Gates when it was my time to return home.  Wouldn't it make grieving and death easier?  Believing that it was not Good bye, but See you soon.

People with faith must have it easier.  Not that I am suggesting that it is easy for anyone to lose a loved one.

And what do I say to the widower?  I'll pray for her?  Nope, can't say that.  You are in our thoughts and prayers.  Nope, that either.

But you know what?  I don't believe in God.  I believe that God is a concoction made up by people who did not understand something.  We are so evolved as a species, that if there is anything in the world that we don't understand (life/death) then it must be because of a higher power.  Couldn't be that we just do not understand it.  I think that is a little self-righteous. 

I live my life believing facts and deriving information and theories from facts.  It is a fact that people die.  At work, I get through by knowing that animals die.  That is how it is.  Animals die.  People die.  Children grow.  Time passes.  Parents die.  Pets die.  People die.  Maybe it is better, at least for me, to remember and come to accept those facts.  It is hard, but everything in life is.

7 comments:

  1. Life is hard, death is hard to understand, I am learning to try and live in the moment, the here and now, ya know? I think you have stated your beliefs perfectly;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To each his own sweetie. I think you wrote your beliefs very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time believing in God, on one hand, it would make me feel better, on the other hand, my fact-loving self just doesn't see how it's possible. I believe in Love, always. Whenever you lose someone that was important to you, you never get over losing them, you just learn how to live without them there because the alternative means you've given up. So, don't give up. I would miss you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way.

    If the afterlife is eternal bliss, than why do we wear seat belts?

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said. I believe in a higher power, but I don't really know what that is. I understand your beliefs because one of my sons believes the same thing. He has read several versions of the bible as well. And your thoughts are his conclusion. I think everyone believes what they believe because what they believe makes them feel better. No one can say what is real and what is not...that's just life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, It's so hard to know what to think, on one hand I want so badly to believe... I think it would make life so much easier to believe that if I went to church prayed at night and really believed someone was listening to me things would get better.. I could have hope so to speak that someone else had the power to change things, have mercy on me... But.. If there was a higher power, and he ultimately was in control of the bigger picture and we are all his children, then WHY does he keep letting such horrible things happen in my life??? He is testing me, I keep being told.. Well don't you think I've been tested enough? Don't you think you've been tested enough? Tested for what? Reminds me of Bruce almighty "God is a mean kid with a magnifying glass." I don't want to believe in a God that is going to "test" me constantly and make me live threw hell for WHAT??? I walk around watching my religious friends, they don't see any less stressed, any more at peace with their lives, they don't seem to have more answers, their kids aren't better behaved...

    It would sure make it alot easier to KNOW.... but I don't, so I am in the same boat you are in... I walk around living my life accountable for my own actions, I believe I alone control my fate, I make my choices, I will face the concequences, and I ought to enjoy the people I love now, because I have no idea what happens when I pass... but I'm not buying the flyers they passed out in sunday school...

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?